Home » EPL, Latest » Liverpool’s director of football leaves by mutual consent

Damien Comolli has left his role as Liverpool’s director of football by mutual consent, the club confirmed this morning.

The Frenchman joined Liverpool as a director of football strategy in November 2010, with his role redefined in March last year.

The flawed decision to spend £35million on Andy Carroll appears to have been laid at the door of Comolli ( click here for a full list of his disastrous signings ).

Principal Owner John Henry said: “We are grateful for all of Damien’s efforts on behalf of Liverpool and wish him all the best for the future.”

Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner added: “The Club needs to move forward and we now have a huge game on Saturday.  It is important that everyone joins us in supporting the manager and gets behind Kenny and the team and focuses on a strong finish to the season.”

Damien Comolli commented: “I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to work at Liverpool and am happy to move on from the Club and back to France for family reasons.  I wish the Club all the best for the future.”

Kenny Dalglish said: “I had a fantastic working and personal relationship with Damien since he came here.

“It is disappointing but I suppose there is not much in football which comes as a surprise.”

As well as playing a part in the signing of Carroll, Comolli also contributed to one of the most dramatic days in the history of the Premier League by helping along the deal that took Fernando Torres to Chelsea for £50million late on the same day.

Other signings to have headed to Anfield while Comolli has been in office include the likes of Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Jose Enrique who, between them, purchased for a total touching £90million.

They have not all been universally popular additions to the Liverpool squad, though, with some fans questioning the merits of paying such high prices for players who have yet to make a consistent impact at Anfield.

Earlier in his career, the 39-year-old Comolli had held a similar post at Tottenham.

He was heralded for securing deals for players such as Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Dimitar Berbatov but, much like his time at Liverpool, not all his dealings were well thought of.

The likes of David Bentley and Adel Taarabt were never able to make their mark at White Hart Lane and former manager Martin Jol was outspoken about his uneasy relationship with Comolli.

Dalglish added: “He has been really helpful in every transfer target we’ve gone for.

“Everyone who has come into the club since Damien has been here was of my choice.

“Once I made the choice who I wanted Damien went away and did a fantastic job of bringing them in.

“It is sad to see anyone leave the football club and he goes with my best wishes and hopefully it is not long before we meet again.

“We wish him well with everything that he does.”

Source: Mirror

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.