Home » EPL, Latest » Match Report: Blackpool 1 Wigan 3

There is no disputing that it has been a great journey for Blackpool but the next stop looks likely to be the Championship after this defeat.

Ian Holloway’s side have now suffered 12 defeats in 16 Premier League games since the turn of the year and with form like that it was only ever a matter of time before they dropped into the bottom three.

Now they are in the relegation zone for the first time this season it is hard to imagine a way out, while Wigan Athletic, good value for their victory at Bloomfield Road, climbed out of the drop zone for the first time in 10 weeks thanks to what was just their seventh win of the campaign.

Starting the day propping the table up, Wigan knew they had to win, no matter how positive their manager Roberto Martinez would have remained regardless.

Blackpool’s 4-0 win at the DW Stadium on the opening day of the season, which saw them top the table briefly before Chelsea’s evening kick-off, felt such a long time ago.

That day Wigan, who had only just survived in the previous campaign, looked consigned for hoping the same again at best but in the return fixture it was Martinez’s side that played with the purpose that marked the early weeks of Blackpool’s campaign.

A goal up inside two minutes through Hugo Rodallega, who became the club’s record Premier League scorer with 21, Blackpool were never able to get in behind or stretch them and there always seemed to be a Wigan player waiting to receive each and every cross-field pass from Charlie Adam.

A second from Charles N’Zogbia in first-half stoppage time seemed to rock them and Holloway is correct when he states that survival now would be much more of an achievement than the club’s FA Cup win in 1953.

What hurt the hosts most was that the opening goal was so avoidable, yet only moments after their pre-match huddle they were at each other’s throats after gifting Wigan a goal.

Elliot Grandin and Stephen Crainey were standing over a free kick on halfway and somehow contrived to give the ball straight to N’Zogbia, whose throughball coincided with a slip from Craig Cathcart that allowed Rodallega to race through to shoot past Matt Gilks.

Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi was largely untroubled, other than a Crainey cross that was knocked wide by Steve Gohouri with DJ Campbell ready to pounce, and a Keith Southern effort that flew over.

Just before the interval, Adam was robbed in midfield by Diame and N’Zogbia evaded Ian Evatt and Catchcart before finding the bottom corner.

Blackpool did what they could after the restart, with Holloway even attempting to shake things up with a treble substitution, but soon they were three down, when Diame’s drive glanced off Neal Eardley.

With time running out, Campbell turned in from a Matt Phillips cross but a comeback never looked likely as Wigan picked up a third win in 15 matches.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.