Home » EPL, Latest » Match Report: Newcastle 0 Man City 2

They celebrated as though they had already won the Premier League and, while that may yet prove embarrassingly premature, Manchester City played like champions to beat Newcastle United.

Second-half goals from Yaya Toure, the first a beauty, were enough to condemn Newcastle to only their third home defeat of the season and their first since December.

Newcastle, whose Champions League dream appears to have died with this defeat, caused them problems, but the better team won, City failing to take a number of other opportunities in front of goal.

Newcastle charged at City from the first whistle, but like all good sides in a high pressure situation, the visitors sat back and soaked it up before starting to impose themselves on the game.

Having pushed Newcastle back, David Silva was given the first clear chance, but his low shot was well saved by Tim Krul. Moments later Samir Nasri failed to control Carlos Tevez’s pass, when a gentle first touch would have given him a dangerous shooting position.

A rash moment from Krul, when he came charging out his area, almost allowed Nasri to make amends, but his tame shot from a tight angle was cleared by covering defenders.

The Newcastle goalkeeper was in more characteristic form when he came off his line boldly to gather the ball at the feet of Silva. Krul also did well to gather an awkward bouncing free kick from Tevez.

City looked dangerous, but Newcastle, as they have all season, found another dimension to their own offensive play and gradually gave their title-chasing opponents something to think about.

Demba Ba’s shot on the turn went narrowly over and the Senegal striker saw another blocked by Gael Clichy, the ball looping up for Hatem Ben Arfa to volley – Joe Hart doing well to keep it out at his near post.

Had Ba, as he would have during his prolific first half of the season, hit his shot first time, Hart may have had no chance.

Still City looked dangerous, Gareth Barry seeing two goalbound shots blocked, first by Fabricio Coloccini and then by Davide Santon.

Their goal, though, came midway through the second-half, Silva combining with Yaya Toure to allow the former Barcelona midfielder to look up and pick his spot with a low curling shot which nestled in the bottom corner.

City’s celebrations were long and exuberant – like they had just scored the goal that would go on to win them the league. Sergio Aguero should have.

With 15 minutes remaining, Silva picked out the Argentinean’s run with a brilliant chipped pass, but he rolled the ball past Krul and the wrong side of the post.

Nerves jangled in the away end, in Manchester and in Abu Dhabi. Toure could have settled them, heading a free-kick over before, farcically, falling over his own feet when one-on-one with Krul.

He did not waste a third, City breaking brilliantly after substitute Micah Richards had thrown himself in the way of Shola Ameobi’s volley, before Clichy found Toure and he found the back of the net from close range.

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.