Home » EPL, Latest » Match Report: Wigan 3 Blackburn 3

A strange afternoon – that included a goal that never should have stood – ended in fittingly bizarre circumstances when Yakubu scored a penalty deep into injury time to earn a point.

Blackburn Rovers’ owners, the Rao brothers, were not there to see it after failing to take their places in the directors box after half time.

The incident that possibly raised the most eyebrows took place with Wigan Athletic leading 2-1.

Blackburn had surprised the home defenders when Morten Gamst Pedersen seemed to take a corner to himself and charged towards the area before drilling a slow cross over for Hoilett to score.

Everyone in the ground, including referee Andre Marriner, had assumed Yakubu had touched the ball before heading to the penalty area but replays showed the striker had run past the ball without making any contact.

But Crusat’s late effort ended Wigan’s eight-match losing run and extended Blackburn’s miserable run to just three victories in 27 Premier League matches.

Blackburn may have been late turning up to the ground, with their bus arriving just 50 minutes before kick off, but they wasted no time in taking the lead.

Venkatesh and Balaji had barely taken their seats in the directors box before Yakubu put the visitors ahead after 67 seconds but as the clock ticked on to seven minutes, Jordi Gomez pulled Wigan level.

And when Gary Caldwell headed Wigan in front just after the half hour, it was just the same as it ever was.

A ‘Steve Kean out’ banner was briefly raised and supporters could clearly be seen arguing between themselves as others were ejected and by the time David Dunn had been sent off for a second bookable offence, the Raos and their entourage were nowhere to be seen.

Just when it was expected that the afternoon could not get any more strange, Hoilett’s second was allowed to stand.

It was unclear whether Yakubu had intended to copy the Ryan Giggs effort which led to Cristiano Ronaldo finding the net against Chelsea of January 2009, which was actually ruled out despite being perfectly legal,

With two minutes left it looked to have been made irrelevant when Crusat poked a low effort past Robinson but the goalkeeper redeemed himself when he went up for a Pedersen corner and was caught in the face by Jones before Yakubu scored from the spot to equalise.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.