Home » EPL, Latest » Match Report: Wolves 0 Everton 3

The green-eyed monster that prowls Stanley Park became the irresistible force that deepened Wolverhampton Wanderers’ relegation woes at Molineux.

For more years than they care to remember, Everton have cast an envious eye towards their bitter Merseyside rivals but a sequence of six unbeaten games has raised expectations of finishing above Liverpool for only the second time since the blue corner claimed the First Division title in 1987.

“It would mean a lot to the fans and we haven’t given them a lot to shout about,” conceded Everton manager David Moyes, whose team are just one point, and one place, behind the old enemy.

That ambition appeared the overwhelming influence as the Old Gold suffered another crushing defeat by a margin of three goals following their capitulation at Newcastle a fortnight ago.

They started brightly, seemingly intent on atoning for that St James’ Park drubbing, but once Jermaine Beckford glanced a near-post header beyond Wayne Hennessey’s flailing grasp, any semblance of confidence drained alarmingly from the home side’s ranks.

It was Leon Osman’s right-wing centre that created Beckford’s opener in the 21st minute, and the move was replicated shortly after with Hennessey this time pushing the forward’s header aside.

The Wolves goalkeeper was again alert to save from his own defender George Elokobi after a deflection off the player’s back, a brief respite as the ball found its way to Phil Neville who arrowed in a right-foot shot for his first goal in three years.

A tribute celebration to his injured room-mate Tim Cahill, punching the corner flag, followed.

“I promised I would do that and he said there was no chance of that happening anyway,” said Neville. “It took about five minutes for it to sink in even, though it was the Wolves corner flag so I apologise if I was inciting anyone.”

Magaye Gueye should have increased the lead from a simple pass over a square back four, the young Frenchman’s feeble attempt allowing Hennessy to scramble clear.

There was nothing feeble about Everton’s next attack, though, as Wolves lost possession in midfield. The loose ball was picked up by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov whose surge at a retreating defence ended with the Russian winger delivering a blistering left-foot shot into the top corner for a 3-0 interval lead which was seldom in jeopardy in a muted second half.

Ominous times for Wolves, who must now wait another two weeks before resuming their campaign against Fulham, knowing that they will remain stranded in the bottom three.

Everton had not prevailed here in the league since 1982 – and Wolves were relegated.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.