Home » EPL, Latest » Match Report: Wolves 2 Bolton 3

They said it would not last and sure enough the marriage of convenience between Terry Connor and Wolverhampton Wanderers seems destined for a swift annulment.

There was even a ‘domestic’ incident of sorts as Wayne Hennessey squared up to his captain Roger Johnson after a defensive lapse – a sure sign of strained relationships. Fortunately, it was an encounter confined to handbag dangling as opposed to a Crawley brawling. Only egos suffered mild bruising.

However, having sustained a fifth defeat in six games since Connor replaced Mick McCarthy, the chances of Wolves avoiding demotion are more remote than ever, especially since this latest defeat was inflicted by relegation rivals Bolton Wanderers.

It would be a mercy sacking should Connor be relieved of his duties but since the previous efforts of the Wolves board to find a suitable successor to McCarthy proved joyless, it may be that the incumbent’s turmoil continues to the season’s end. The final game against Wigan Athletic is likely to be rendered irrelevant anyway because the six points that Wolves are adrift of safety seem certain to have increased by then.

The home side may cite a first half when their superior possession should have brought them the lead but ultimately their frailties were exposed by the visitors, who secured a third successive Premier League victory for the first time since 2006.

“This was a huge three points for us,” said Bolton manager Owen Coyle. “When we came in 0-0 at half time I was delighted truth be told. But having gone behind we showed our true spirit.”

During an opening 45 minutes controlled by Wolves, Steven Fletcher was thrice denied a headed goal, a splendid save by Adam Bogdan, a goal line clearance from Ryo Miyaichi and the crossbar foiling the former Burnley forward who was signed by Coyle at Turf Moor.

In between, Hennessey and Johnson exchanged heated words at close quarters but Connor diluted the confrontation between his goalkeeper and captain.

“I don’t like to see that publicly but it showed me two players who are passionate and committed to winning games for Wolves,” said Connor. “I talked to them at half time, they shook hands and went out for the second half trying to win the game.”

Michael Kightly’s diagonal run and shot that finally defeated Bogdan was a just reward that seemed sufficient to deliver a first home win in 11 games, until Johnson’s error conceded a pivotal penalty in the 63rd minute, going to ground rashly and catching the leg of former Wolves youth team player Mark Davies.

“I thought it was a dubious penalty to say the least,” insisted Connor.

Still, once Martin Petrov had converted the spot kick, Wolves capitulated with indecent haste, befitting a side that has failed to prevent the opposition from scoring in the league since August 27, at Aston Villa.

Hennessey had saved David Wheater’s header initially in the 80th minute before Petrov was allowed to centre from the left, David Ngog’s header rebounding off the crossbar fortuitously for Marcos Alonso to volley Bolton ahead. There could have been more as Wolves wilted, yet only Kevin Davies added to the tally, shrugging aside a lame Johnson tackle and angling a third beyond Hennessey. Matt Jarvis’ late finish kindled hope – false hope as it transpired.

With Wigan and QPR both winning on Saturday, Wolves are rooted to the bottom – and look increasingly likely to stay there.

Tags: ,

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.