Home » Latest, PSL » Match Report: Kaizer Chiefs 2 SuperSport United 0

Kaizer Chiefs ended their five-match Premiership drawing streak by beating SuperSport United 2-0 at FNB Stadium on Wednesday night.

Striker Knowledge Musona opened the scoring in the 15th minute before midfielder Reneilwe Letsholonyane completed matters in the 88th minute, finishing off a cross from substitute Abia Nale.

For Zimbabwean international Musona, the goal was his 12th of the campaign which sees him tied with Mamelodi Sundowns’s Katlego Mphela as the league’s leading goalscorer.

More importantly for Amakhosi, after dropping critical points in recent matches, the victory gives new life to their league hopes with the championship being tightly contested this season though they remain fourth on the table with 50 points – three adrift of log leaders Orlando Pirates after 26 rounds of league matches.

While they will savour the win, coach Vladimir Vermezovic’s outfit might just rue the missed chances in the game if the title race is to be decided on goal difference.

In the first half alone, Musona could have netted a brace soon after scoring his first only for the ball to go narrowly wide of goal.

While defender Valery Nahayo came close with a glancing header, and winger Siphiwe Tshabalala’s free-kick being well stopped by goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez it was striker S’thembiso Ngcobo who shockingly ballooned his shot in the penalty box with just the keeper to beat.

In the most clear opportunity in the second half, defender Jimmy Tau also found himself in a scoring position but blasted his effort over the goalposts.

With the loss, 12th placed United’s chances of a top eight finish have taken a dent with four games left to play in the season.

The beleaguered league champions had not been outplayed in the fixture either but are paying the price for their bluntness in front of goal this campaign.

At times, United had four players up front in Anthony Laffor, Kermit Erasmus, Glen Salmon and Fikru Tefera when they went on the offensive, but lacked the crucial instinct of finding the back of the net.

Salmon forced a save from keeper Itumeleng Khune with a trademark header in the 20th minute before Laffor’s effort in the box went narrowly wide of goal shortly before the interval.

Midway through the second half, midfielder Mogogi Gabonamong also saw his attempt in the box narrowly go wide of goal.

Related Posts

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.